Wednesday, August 18, 2010

From the Desk of Jessica


This post is from the Executive Assistant at OASHF - who, along with other staff members, is participating in the SNAP challenge. Here are her thoughts from yesterday.

Gratefulness can start simple and small. This morning I am really grateful for the cool breeze after the staggeringly hot, humid weather we have been having. I’m grateful for oatmeal, peanut butter and chocolate chips all mixed together into a chocolaty treat. Once I think of one or two small things that I’m grateful for, the bigger stuff seems to follow…my family and friends, my health, my home, hope…and food. Food is so elemental and basic to us that I don’t think any of the important aspects of life can be accomplished without access to good, fresh and nutritious food.

I took a simply living class a year ago and one of the folks said something that still causes me to reflect on the statement…”Good food should be expensive”. I know what she meant, that organically-grown food, local whenever possible, costs more than the mass-produced and often processed items available at the large grocery chains for a lower price. But this can’t be the complete statement. Everyone needs to be able to have good food that is affordable. For many, this happens through supplementing staples with food from critically needed community gardens and food pantries, or by just growing a few vegetable plants in the back yard. Others aren’t so fortunate. It is these people that we are standing with this week in the OASHF SNAP challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment