Friday, August 20, 2010

A week in the life of fish and spaghetti - Bekka

Baby Broccoli Florets 2.29

Bag of Mixed Veggies 1.69

Coke Zero 1 Liter 1.33

Coke Zero 1 Liter 1.34 (Not kidding)

Bag of Pretzel Sticks 2.19

Box of Wheat Spaghetti 1.29

Bag of 4 Tilapia Loins Buy 1 get 1 free 7.98

Bag of Tilapia Loins 0.00

18.39



Buy 1 get 1 free bags of fish. Hot darn!

My strategy for the week was to eat the same things over and over again and buying items which would be mix-match-able like clothing.

At first I couldn’t find my Giant Eagle card. The cashier said I could just come back and get it refunded off the receipt later, but I explained I had to keep it under $21.00 and briefly explained the food stamp challenge. She looked at me like I was crazy. Eventually, I guessed the right phone number for my Giant Eagle card (Mack Stadium Scholarship Dorm, 2001).

The Food



Wheat spaghetti exists! It looks like incense.

I’m actually not a fan of pretzel sticks, but I knew I could snack on them forever and they’d make me feel full. I also bought wheat spaghetti for the first time ever. I figured the wheat would keep me fuller longer. It was actually cheaper, and probably healthier in the long run--like white rice versus brown rice.



But it does not burn like incense.

Cooking!

A salt addict, I cook my fish the exact same way every time. I probably could have put it out prettier on a plate. Poppy was allowed no fish as she refused to participate.



Fish with soy sauce and garlic salt, baked in tin foil.

When not having fish, I fix the spaghetti like I saw on Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution. I put in a bit of oil and butter, then added Italian spice and garlic salt. To spice it up, I microwaved broccoli, cut it up in a bowl, then mixed in the noodles.







Tadaaaa, Broccoli spaghetti!

Interestingly, as the week wore on I found myself adding more salt, oil, and butter to make up for the monotony in food choices.

Hmm, is fish spaghetti next on the menu?

Oh you bet it was.



And yet again...



I'm also almost out of diet coke, but couldn't bring myself to take pictures of the near-empty bottles. If you leave soda unguarded on your desk, I will not be held responsible. You have been warned.

...

I hate pretzels.

No comments:

Post a Comment