Friday, August 13, 2010

Shopping and Day One


Last night I took $21 to Wal*Mart to buy my food for the next seven days. I did not think that this was going to be a very hard task, but by the time it was all said and done, I spent an hour and 5 minutes in the store and walked out with $0.22 left of the money. I was able to buy what seemed like a decent amount at the time, but when I got it home and saw it all layed out, I became worried that I might not have enough to last me through dinner on Thursday, August 19th, 2010.

One of the most daunting tasks was having to choose which staple foods I could afford as I was shopping. Did I want milk and cereal or cheese for sandwiches? Was I better off to buy low-grade fresh tomatoes or a can of diced tomoatoes? Should I forego buying bread because there was no store brand on the shelves meaning I would have to spend $0.68 more for the next cheapest loaf (the loaf I wanted was only $0.75 in the first place). These were all tough choices I had to make.

Once this morning came, the true challenge began. Thus far, I have had a banana for breakfast and then for lunch I had a slice of bologna on bread, 10 pretzel twists and a cup of yogurt. I am thankful for what I have had, but still VERY hungry. I have been preoccupied with thoughts of hunger for a large part of the day and grew quite tired this afternoon.

As you see from the pictures, this is what my $21 bought me for the week ... I just hope it doesnt run out.


Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment